Tuesday, June 15, 2010

ALA...and other stuff...

Oh June...how you mock me with your fickle weather. So, why didn't anyone tell me that London and Rhode Island switched climates? Because when I left London I said to myself, IT'S JUNE. Beach days ahead!

I've been wearing a raincoat for 6 days.

But this whining is not the reason for my post. I have many wonderful things to report!

1. Infinite Days will be an audio book! Yipee! It will be read by Justine Eyre who also read Lauren Kate's Fallen. Her voice is beautiful and I love its depth. I can't wait to hear it!

2. I am going to the American Library Association Conference. Yay (again)! I'll be signing ARCs of Infinite Days on Friday the 25th. I'm really excited about it. If you are planning to go to ALA please stop by and say hello. I know there are tons of Vermont College writers that will be there so I am very excited to go to their signings as well.

3. I'll be speaking at an ASTAL event on Monday June 28th! ASTAL is (http://www.astal-ric.org/) The Alliance for the Study and Teaching of Adolescent Literature. It's a wonderful association and if you live in the New England area, I suggest you check out their website. They have great seminars and conferences about writing and teaching YA lit. I have no idea what I'll be talking about yet. That's probably not comforting for Jean, the director but I know I'd like to talk about the query letter I sent out for the earlier draft of Infinite Days which was originally called, The End of Warm Days. I am terrible with titles - just so you know. Once I know what I'm talking about, I'll post it here. Or you can attend!!! June 23, 24, 25, 26, 28 & 29, 2010 at Rhode Island College.

Just so you know why I want to talk about the query, I truly believe a query letter can make or break your submission process. I didn't start out with William Morris as my agent, I sent a cold query submission out to a publisher who was accepting unsolicited manuscripts. So the query opened the door. Once I get the OK, I'll post the query here so you can see how I formatted it, etc. The agent and the book deal came later, came after I wrote a query, played by the rules and tried to break into the industry.

You have to do it this way, unless you know someone, which I hate to say, some people do and it's easier for them but that's any industry. YOU are better than that. YOU will write an amazing query and open the door to your own career.

Side note: Pitch fests are not for the faint of heart but in my experience, I also found that they can open doors. It takes the literary aspect out of the process a bit but it does get you in there with agents and publishers who want to sell books based on ideas, fascinating characters and great story lines. I know this for fact. I pitched an idea to an agent at a pitch fest and she looked at my manuscript (not Infinite Days but another manuscript) and a revision! Be brave - but it's helpful. If you e-mail me, I will tell you privately the name of the pitch and shop I attended.

RebeccaMaizelauthor@gmail.com

3 comments:

Brent and Emily, The Naughty Book Kitties said...

Great, great! I'm so excited for you!

Keep up the great writing!

Brent

WordCountMaximum said...

:) Thanks Brent, I looked for your shelf on goodreads but couldn't find it - maybe I am goodreads challenged?

Elizabeth May said...

Queries are SCARRRRYYY! :crying:

Post a Comment