Friday, April 2, 2010

Surveys

Part of my writing life is I get to read tons of YA literature. I just finished the really wonderful, A Bad Boy Can Be A Good For A Girl by Tanya Lee Stone. It's a verse novel and while I found the narrative compelling and the prose exceptional, it was what was at the back of the book which really fascinated me.

Exhibit A (click to enlarge):




How cool is that? Do all libraries do this? Will someone explain this for me? What a great way to communicate how or why a book is effective. This book, A Bad Boy Can Be Good For A Girl is about sex. It's about what's emotionally at stake when a young woman places herself in sexual situation with a boy who may not deserve her body or her time. It's much, much more than that. The book addresses female empowerment, trust, first sexual encounters and a host of other themes I cannot possibly cover in this short blog. But that exact point is what makes the questionnaire at the end of this book so genius. These readers get to talk to one another. They get to say why, specifically, they think this literature is important.

Genius. Genius.

0 comments:

Post a Comment